My turtle lived in that pond for a very long time, but eventually moved on. If you want to own a red eared slider indoors please keep in mind they require a lot of care. Never remove a healthy turtle from the wild; it is best to let them be. If you purchase one from a breeder or pet store you will need a few necessary items to care for it.
- Aquarium or tank: You will need a 40 gallon or larger tank that has a screen top
- UVA, UVB, and heat lamps: Your turtle will need all three types to imitate their natural environment and ensure their health
- Water filter: This will keep your turtle’s water fresh
- Basking area: You can use a man-made basking area or create one yourself
- Water heater: Your turtle will not survive in cool water
These are the basic elements for the simplest turtle enclosure. They can cost upwards of $150 dollars. You will also need to provide a variety of food such as, pellets, fresh plants, and insects for your turtle to maintain proper nutrition.
A turtle makes a great pet for those who would enjoy watching it grow and develop. Red Eared Sliders are not good pets for people who want a pet to cuddle and interact with. Visit your local aquatic store to learn more about what goes into the care of a RES and whether it is a good option for your house.